“…it was in 1965 that [Bro. Premamoy] began the work for which he will be always remembered – his role as an instrument in the founding of a structured spiritual training program for postulant monks of the Self-Realization Order… Bro. Premamoy forged a remarkable spirit of harmony, cooperation, and loyalty — a monumental contribution to Paramahansa Yogananda’s society that has made possible much of its progress in recent years.”
Concerning an effective way to tackle bad habits, Bro. Premamoy said: “Arrange your list of bad habits first in order of the habits that are most bothersome to others and then in order of the ones most obstructing to your spiritual progress. Work on one a week, or if it is a particularly difficult habit, for 2 weeks. For example if ‘anger’ is at the top of your list, next to it write the opposite good habit–‘calmness/evenmindedness.’ Then look up everything Master had to say on ‘calmness/ evenmindedness.’
-Bro. Premamoy, personal counseling (from Quotes from Sunday Morning Lectures, Phoenix Temple)
Bro. Premamoy’s Introspection Chart
INTROSPECTION CHART – BRO. PREMAMOY, 1977
1. Number of hours slept.
MORNING INDIVIDUAL MEDITATION
4. Dwelling on God after techniques?
5. Techniques practiced?
6. Quality of practice?
MORNING GROUP MEDITATION
7. Exercises: With concentration?
8. Meditation: Alert? With concentration?
9. Alert? With concentration?
EVENING GROUP MEDITATION
10. Exercises: With concentration?
11. Meditation: Alert? With concentration?
EVENING INDIVIDUAL MEDITATION
14. Dwelling on God after techniques?
15. Techniques practiced?
16. Quality of practice?
17. With concentration? Efficiently?
18. With willingness?
19. With cheerfulness?
20. Thoughtful of others?
ATTITUDE DURING THE DAY
21. Did I practice Energizing Exercises, Hong-Sau, Om Technique, and Kriya in both the morning and
22. How did I spend my free time? Constructively?
23. How did I spend my recreation time? Harmoniously?
30. Did I practice the Presence of God?
31. How much unprofitable talk or gossip?
32. How much unprofitable thinking? Daydreaming?
33. Did I transmute unchaste thoughts at once?
34. Did I overeat today?
35. What bad habit is troubling me most?
36. Which good habit am I trying to develop?
37. Was I on time for classes, services, work, meditation, and all other activities?
38. Am I feeling deeper love for God?
39. Am I feeling greater attunement with Master and this way of life?
40. Am I feeling greater kindness and understanding for all?
41. Are there any points that I should discuss with my counselor.
42. Was I patient?
43. Did I practice self-control?
44. Was I truthful in word and action?
[INTROSPECTION] “It’s a miracle tool, “Brother Anandamoy said. It’s a miracle tool for creating spiritual transformation. Maybe there is a quality we need more of–willpower, patience, devotion, etc. If we see there is a quality we are missing, then once every day we can bring it back to mind, and then we remember, “Oh, this is why I’m here!”
BACK TO SRF MONASTIC TALKS